Saturday, October 26, 2013

Halloween: Creepy Spider activities

The other night I was working on finishing up a project when I saw a decent sized (but not monstrously large) spider crawling across my wall.  I looked around quickly for some spider killing equipment but didn't have any shoes or kleenexes handy.  Plus every once in awhile I start to think about reincarnation.  What if we come back as a spider and then everyone is smooshing us?  So I let it go.  About 45 minutes later, I saw it scurrying by again.  I think it had lapped my office.  Maybe he was just working out.  It wasn't until I went to bed that I started to wish I'd had more of a resolution to the whereabouts of this arachnid.

Anyhow, it reminded me of some Spider activities I've done in Halloween's past.  
Spider Cookie:  












I really didn't need any excuses for eating oreo cookies.  Mmmmmm.  We worked on sequencing cards, the concept, in between (as in put the legs in between the cookies) and just general drill activities while making a Halloween spider cookie.  I had a really hard time finding black string licorice and ended up getting Haribo Licorice wheels and pulling the licorice string out.  
Spider Toss Game:
























I got the spider web rug at Target this year at their Dollar Spot.  Do you love the dollar spot too?  Besides end caps, it's my favorite shopping area.  I also picked up some glow in the dark spiders.  We worked on our targets and then took breaks by tossing spiders at the rug.  I added some point values on the rug with painters tape-but I don't think it's necessary.  It was pretty hard to get the spiders to land on the rug.  

The Spider and the Fly book:  



















The spider keeps trying to convince the fly to come into his parlor.  The fly knows that she shouldn't and refuses him until the end.  I think this is a clever book for working on perspective taking and intentions. What do we know about spiders?  Would a spider just want to hang out with a fly?  

Need some more spider inspiration?  Check out All Ya'll Need's Spider week posting.
Or Download a Free Spider web activity from Crazy Speech World.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...